The Prime Minister has announced that the first case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in New Zealand. The Ministry of Health has noted that although we have our first case of COVID-19, the chances of community outbreak remain low.
For now this does not affect the day to day business at our school but we will continue to reinforce messages about hygiene practices with the tamariki and would encourage you to do the same at home.
Practising good hand and sneeze/cough hygiene is the best defence:
- wash your hands often with soap and water before and after eating as well as after attending the toilet
- cover coughs and sneezes with clean tissues or your elbow
- put used tissues in the bin.
We encourage staff and students to stay home if they are feeling unwell.
Key websites for information relating to COVID-19 include:
- Ministry of Health
- Immigration New Zealand
- Public health unit contacts
- IATA Travel Centre
- Human Rights Commission (or call 0800 496 877 or email [email protected])
Healthline’s dedicated COVID-19 number, 0800 358 5453, is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.