To Whom It May Concern,
Yakka consultant Ltd, a licensed asbestos removal specialist (Work Safe Class B Licence) will be undertaking removal work of some Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) from the existing buildings of Te Huruhi Primary School buildings and from the tuck shop of Waiheke High School.
This removal will be conducted between the hours of 7.00am to 10.00pm from the 4th of July through to the 20th of July (school holiday period) and on the following 5 weekends after the 20th of July. This work may need to be rescheduled in the event of bad weather.
Work Safe NZ will be notified that this license asbestos removal work is to be undertaken.
Te Huruhi Primary School and Waiheke High School managements and boards of trustees have been consulted about the nature and timing of this work, together with the safety measures to be used.
The following safety measures will be put in practice and maintained for the duration of this project:
- Signs, barriers and/or temporary fencing will be installed.
- PVA solutions or water will be applied to asbestos containing materials to prevent airborne asbestos fibre dust (as required).
- Plastic will be used to cover horizontal surfaces and surrounds.
- Asbestos containing material will be wrapped on site and disposed of at an approved tip site.
- Air monitoring at the work site boundary will be place for the duration of the works. If asbestos fibre above the allowable safe limit are detected, work will cease immediately and corrective measures applied.
- An independent party will carry out an inspection of the site n completion of the work and issue a clearance certificate.
The Ministry of Education website has further information about the management of asbestos and procedures to ensure the safety of all involved in or affected by the work, at the school and community. This can be found on: https://education.govt.nz/school/property-and-transport/health-and-safety-management/asbestos/
Additional information about asbestos removal and/or Asbestos Removal Licences can be found on Work Safe NZ’s website http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe or by phoning 0800 030 040 (24 hours).
If you have any questions or concerns about this removal work, please feel free to contact either Yakka Contracting Ltd (Paul Willer) on 027 772 2110, the Project Management company responsible for the works (Rubix) on 09 970 8918 or its construction manager on site (Mike Bayman) on 027 312 8747.
This article was last updated on